Can We Talk about Posers?

Don’t they all look so perfect and slender? Their taut tummies stretched in a sexy arch. Their chests heaving forward demanding your attention. And, their thighs! You can actually see daylight between their thighs! I don’t think any outdoor breeze on earth has graced the skin between my thighs. And, I don’t have really large thighs! And, I also don’t spend my time on the beach posing. I spend it writing to help others who might be slipping toward a terribly debilitating eating disorder as I did, and this topic has been burning on my mind.

Can we talk about posers for a minute?

When I see photos of beautiful, sexy people looking so incredibly perfect I have to remind myself:

1) it’s a photo, it could be totally edited; but

2) even if it’s not, that person is posing.

You have to realize that perfectly-arched, smooth-tummied, separated-thighs images you are trying to live up to are what those people look like when they’re posing. You probably look just as sexy (if not MORE sexy!) when you pose and are photographed from a flattering angle.

How often is this—5% of the time? Versus the other 95% when you’re likely sitting slouched, your tummy pooched out, your thighs touching (“Say it ain’t so!”). Yet, you might stand in front of your mirror in the harsh light of your bathroom, let your body slouch to unflattering angles, then compare yourself to Rosey Posey.

They do not look like that when they are standing in front of their own mirrors at home.

These women, men, models, etc. who are posing. They are sucking in. They are arching their backs. They are popping their hips out to create flattering angles. They do not look like that when they are standing in front of their own mirrors at home. They look just as bad as you think you do when you’re slouching.

To remind yourself of that, and (I hope) remind yourself to stop comparing your 95% of the time self to those 5% of the time posers, here is an exercise should help. Right now, get out of your chair, or off of the couch. Wherever you might be. Stand up. And get in front of a mirror. Now it’s time to pose, baby! Pose like you’ve never posed before. Stick that juicy booty out, pump that chest up, arch your back, throw your head back! You can even do that duck-billed platypus look. Whatever you think is your sexiest pose.

Do you have it?

Wait … Okay, now are you there?

Now hold it and start walking around. Try picking something up off the ground, or sitting down. Try picking up a magazine and reading. Don’t lose that pose! Now walk to the kitchen, get a glass of water. Do anything you want. You can even do it in front of the mirror to see how ridiculously funny it is.

Sure, they look great in that flattering photo moment. But so would you with the same pose and the same professional photographer.

No one can hold a pose all day and look that sexy 95% of the time. If you remember how funny you looked pulling that platypus look off while drinking water and dribbling it everywhere, I hope it will help you see the posers in a new light.

Sure, they look great in that flattering photo moment. But so would you with the same pose and the same professional photographer. But, then it’s over. You leave the shoot and you get on with your life, which includes so many things that are infinitely more fun than standing there, holding a pose. You—that 95% you—is who the world wants to spend time with anyway.

—Callie

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s